Recommended Magento versions
The Shipwire module for Magento fulfillment works with Magento versions up to and including 1.7.x and has been tested with Magento Community, Enterprise and Magento Go. Please contact Customer Care if you find any incompatibilities between the Shipwire module and your version of Magento.
On this page
- Setting up the Magento module
- Setting up Magento real-time shipping rates module
- Installing Magento in your Shipwire account
- Troubleshooting your Magento module
- Additional Information and Troubleshooting Tips
Shipwire offers two connections with Magento:
Magento Order Fulfillment — This is found within your Shipwire account. It is easy to install and walks you through a wizard that connects your Shipwire account directly to your Magento Store. Through this API connection your orders will be synced and Shipwire will pick, pack, and ship them. Once shipped, your Magento store will get new inventory values and carrier tracking information so you and your customers can track the shipment.
Magento real-time shipping rates — Download this script module from Magento Connect here. Follow the instructions in the download and your Magento store checkout will be able to sync shipping rates for all available shipping carriers.
All Shipwire API integrations are supported:
Order Entry – Orders are submitted to Shipwire from your Magento store automatically via our Order Entry API, so when your online store gets an order Shipwire does the rest.
Order Tracking – All tracking information related to completed shipments is pulled automatically, including expected delivery dates.
Inventory Status – You can query your inventory status globally, by region, or by warehouse. Find out when inventory will be next available on product that is out of stock.
Shipping Rates – Obtain real-time shipping rates at any time during checkout. Shipwire will return the most cost-effective rates, choosing from the best warehouse, packaging, and carrier available based on your Optimizer preferences.
Connection Status – When you set up your magento connection, you will see its status right in your Shipwire account under the Magento tool setup screen. See if your connection is set up correctly or if there any errors or warnings.
Connect multiple stores – Shipwire lets you connect more than one Magento store to your fulfillment account. Ship orders for multiple Magento storefronts, and manage them all in the same place.
Setting up the Magento module
To install the Shipwire Sell tool in Magento, you need to create a Web Service User in your Magento Admin. If you already have a Web Service User established in your Magento account, skip this part.
- Log in to your Magento account and follow the nested drop down menus in this order: System, Web Services, SOAP/XML-RPD-Users. Then, click Users. On the next screen, click the Add New User button.
- On this screen, fill in the fields as follows:
User Name: User Name to be used for API login (e.g.: shipwire_api_user)
First Name: First name of user
Last Name: Last name of user
Email: Email address for user
Api Key: API key to be used for API login (e.g.: shipwire)
This Account is: Active
- Click Save User.
- Go to the Roles menu by following the drop down menu in this order: System, Web Services, SOAP/XML-RPD-Roles. Click Roles. Then, click the Add New Role button, then enter a Role Name (e.g.: “Shipwire integration”).
- Go to the left navigation menu on the same screen and click Roll Resources. Change the Resource Access selection from Custom to All.
- Click the Save Role button.
- Next, map the User to the Role. Once again, navigate: System, Web Services, SOAP/XML-RPD-Users. Click Users, then click on the user you created (e.g.: shipwire_api_user).
- In the left navigation menu, click User Role. Select the role you created (e.g.: Shipwire integration role).
- Click the Save User button.
Installing Magento in your Shipwire account
- Navigate to Sell.
- Click Configure. Then click the subsequent link, Add Account (not shown).
- After clicking Add Account, you’ll be asked to enter the appropriate information in the form fields:
Magento API User: Enter your Magento API User Name (e.g.: shipwire_api_user)
Magento API Key: Enter your Magento API Key you created (e.g.: shipwire)
Magento Store URL: Your Magento store URL (e.g.: www.mymagentostore.com)
- Select the features you want to enable.
- Click Save.
- Check to make sure Shipwire was able to successfully connect to your Magento installation – you will see a green icon if OK, or red if something went wrong.
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, select an account and enter the correct data.
NOTE: (Not shown) A second text field and link — Import Orders to Fulfill — will also be visible. Provide information and follow instructions to import them.
Testing your Magento connection
NOTE: Before you test the integration, make sure all product names (SKUs) in your Magento account and in your Shipwire account are identical. Shipwire will hold orders with unrecognized product SKUs. You will need to have matching SKUs to go through the following steps.
- After you set up the Shipwire Sell tool, place a test order in your Magento store.
- Log in to your Magento Store Administrator and select the order you just created. Change the order status to Paid by creating an invoice for the order in Magento Admin.
- Mark invoice as Paid. Shipwire will pick up the order from Magento within an hour.
- Test an order from Magento in your Shipwire account. After the order is fulfilled, Shipwire will update with any available carrier tracking numbers and inventory counts.
- Get carrier tracking numbers from your Magento Store. A Shipment record will be created for your order. (Note: You will not need to create a Shipment Record for your sales order. Shipwire will create one for you through the Magento API at the same time we update tracking information.)
- Verify that inventory counts are updated in real time.
Setting up Magento Real-Time Shipping Rates module
The following are installation instructions for the Magento shipping rate integration for Shipwire. This module allows you to show real-time Shipwire shipping rates right in your customers’ checkout page in your Magento store.
- Go to Magento Connect to get the Extension key. Once you login to Magento connect search for Shipwire.
- Click through to the Shipwire Real Time Rating module and set the platform to Community.
- Select Magento Connect 2.0 and copy the Key URL.
- Log back in to your Magento store as Admin and navigate as follows: System, Magento Connect, Magento Connect Manager. You’ll be working in the Extensions tab.
- Paste the Key URL you copied in Step 2.
- Press Install. If you refresh the extensions screen, in most cases, you will see the see the Shipwire module appear at the bottom on the list.
- Click Return to Admin at the top of the page.
- In the Admin page, navigate to System. In the drop down menu select Configuration and in the left navigation under Sales, select Shipping Methods, then select Shipwire Rating Service. (Note: If you do not see the Shipwire Rating Service in the Shipping Method list, delete your Magento cache files, which are located in /magento/var/cache. Delete all folders within the cache folder and refresh the screen).
- Setup Shipwire Rating Service as follows:
Title: Enter title that shows in checkout process (e.g.: Shipwire Shipping Service)
Shipwire Email: your Shipwire account email address
Shipwire Password: your Shipwire account password
Available Shipping Services: Select all services you want to offer to customer. In most cases you would enable all services.
- Finish by clicking Save Config.
NOTE: Before you use the Shipwire real-time shipping rating service, make sure all the SKUs in your Magento shopping cart are identical to those in your Shipwire account and ensure that your product dimensions and weights in Shipwire match to the physical product. Shipwire will not give shipping quotes for SKUs missing from the Shipwire account. Shipwire rate quotes are not available for items not in the Shipwire system.
Troubleshooting your Magento module
If you are having difficulty seeing your Magento orders in Shipwire, the following tips may help.
Test the Magento SOAP API
Shipwire uses the Magento SOAP API to communicate with your cart for order fulfillment, inventory, shipping status, and tracking. It is essential that the Magento API work perfectly. A common problem is that the SOAP API is not enabled or properly configured. A simple test to see if SOAP is enabled is to query the SOAP API handler. To do this, enter the following URL in your web browser:
Substitute YOURSITE with your Magento store URL. You should receive XML output from your cart indicating that it is working.
Make sure you have the PHP SOAP extention enabled on your web server
The Apache PHP server has SOAP extensions that are necessary for proper operation. To test this, you can run this simple script from a PHP file on your web server:
This shows your PHP server environment and what modules are installed. If the SOAP extension does not show up during this test, you can run this simple script from a command line prompt to enable SOAP:
If this does not work, you can edit the php.ini file directly to enable the service and restart your server manually.
Make sure the API User and Key in Magento match Shipwire exactly
If these do not match exactly, there will be an authentication error when Shipwire polls Magento to download orders.
It still doesn’t work, now what?
If after these steps you still do not see Magento orders in your Shipwire account, you may need to contact support. It is possible there are internal issues with your Magento version and its handling of SOAP requests. We can look at our server logs to help resolve this. We do know that some Magento versions are not stable and their SOAP implementation will not work without suitable patching.
Q.After an order is placed in Magento how long does it take before showing up in Shipwire?
A.We poll your Magento cart once an hour for new orders. It can take up to one hour for your order to show up.
Q.The Real-Time Shipping module doesn’t always work. What’s wrong?
A.The Real-Time Shipping module uses the Shipwire Rating API directly to get rating requests. Carefully review the Shipping Module instructions. Also, make sure your Shipwire account email address and password match your Shipwire account exactly.
Another issue is trying to rate shipments with SKUs that Shipwire does not have defined or has never had inventory. This is because we can not determine the weight or dimensions of what is being shipped in order to properly quote shipping rates. Generally, if you can see the SKU in the Manage Inventory view, it can be rated for shipment.
Q.I added a new SKU to my Shipwire account. How to I get my inventory to update in my Magento Cart?
A.Shipwire pushes inventory updates only when inventory changes. For a new SKU, we push the initial inventory update when your receiving is first uploaded. If at the time of this update you do not have the SKU defined in Magento, the update won’t have any effect. You should always make sure your new SKU is present in Magento before your receiving is first uploaded so it can immediately record your inventory.
Q.What about adding extensions to Magento – will that affect my Shipwire integration?
A.Most Magento add-ons will work perfectly with the Shipwire integration. However, that is not always the case. One particularly problematic add-on is a module that allows you to delete orders from your Magento database. This module does not properly delete your orders and leaves the database in a state that causes the API to fail. We strongly recommend that you use extreme caution with any module that modifies your Magento order data. Before installing, be sure to take a snapshot of your data in case you need to revert to an earlier version.
Q.Does Shipwire work with Magento Go the same as the self hosted Magento versions?
A.Almost. The main difference is that the Shipwire Rating module available for Magento Go is a few revisions back and does not have support for multi-tiered International shipping. Only the single basic International rate types are available. We are working with Magento to update to the latest revision.
Q.When does Shipwire update my inventory on Magento?
A.We push inventory updates to your Magento cart on an hourly basis. We only include the SKUs that have had a change in the status on our side since the last sync.
Q.Why is the inventory amount for some of my SKUs not syncing?
A.If you add a SKU to your Shipwire account and bring in inventory, and then after that you add the SKU to Magento, your cart will miss the initial inventory update. Contact Shipwire support and we can do a manual sync of inventory back to your cart. To avoid missing the initial inventory sync, first add a new SKU to Magento, and then add the SKU to Shipwire.