Below are some relevant Industry Statistics that may be relevant if you are writing an article on Shipwire or the shipping and storage industry.
Los Angeles Port:
- 1st busiest container-port in the United States (#1 ranking since 2000).
- 8th busiest container-port in the World.
- 5th busiest container-port in the world when combined with the neighboring port of Long beach.
- By market share, Los Angeles &Long Beach ports combined bring in 43% of the nation’s imports and 71% of the West Coast’s imports
- Asia Imports represent the top trading partners (cargo value in 2006) with an estimated $221.5 Billion in inventory value (not shipping costs).
- China $94.5B
- Japan $36.8 B
- Taiwan $13.B
- SouthKorea $7.6B
- Thailand $6.9B
- Relevant container volume stats (measured by Twenty-foot Equivalent Units (TEU’s)) for 2006
- 448,630 – Clothing & Shoes
- 195,864 – Computers and Office Machine
- 163,406 – Toys
Logistics Industry Statistics:
- From the CSCMP State of Logistics Report, 2006:
- 2005 business logistics costs were $1.1 trillion, or 9.5% of GDP, up 15.2% from 2004
- Of this $1.1 trillion:
- Inventory carrying costs: $393 billion
- Transportation costs: $744 billion, or 6% of GDP
- LA port handled 4.8 million containers in 2005
Small business Statistics (from SBA), Small Business Powers the U.S. Economy:
- Represent 99.7 percent of all employer firms.
- Employ half of all private sector employees.
- Pay more than 45 percent of total U.S. private payroll.
- Have generated 60 to 80 percent of net new jobs annually
- Create more than 50 percent of non-farm private gross domestic product (GDP).
- Are 53 percent home-based and 3 percent franchises.
- Made up 97 percent of all identified exporters and produced 28.6 percent of the known export value in FY 2004.
E-commerce Industry Statistics:
- E-commerce is on Track to Hit $200B in Sales in 2007
- Retail E-commerce increased 23% in Q3’07 compared to Q3’06
- From Comscore, retail e-commerce gains in ’07 are being led by electronics and toys, with apparel in the top 10.