Combine Shipwire order fulfillment and Joomla Virtuemart shopping cart for a complete eCommerce solution.
NOTE: This module supports Virtuemart 1.1.9 for Joomla 1.5. The module does not work with Virtuemart 2.x..
Module Installation Instructions for Virtuemart 1.x
The installation of the Shipwire connector requires you to upload files to your web server. This is not difficult to do, but we do not recommend doing it unless you are comfortable working with files on your server. If you are not, we highly recommend finding a web developer that can assist you.
Order Entry – Orders are submitted to Shipwire from your e-commerce store automatically via our Order Entry API. Once your online store receives an order, Shipwire takes care of the rest.
Order Tracking – All tracking information related to completed shipments is pulled automatically, including expected delivery dates.
Inventory Status – You can query your inventory status globally, by region, or by warehouse. Find out when inventory will be available for products that are out of stock.
Shipping Rates – Obtain real-time shipping rates at any time during checkout. Shipwire will return the most cost-effective rates, choosing from the best warehouse, packaging, and carrier available based on your Optimizer preferences.
First, find and connect your cart within your Shipwire account, then follow the steps below to configure it.
- Once you’ve added Virtuemart as a Third Party Connector, click the Download Store-Sell-Ship™ module link. This will download the Virtuemart installation module for your local hard drive. The next steps detail how to install the Shipwire Module in your Joomla installation on your server.
- Uncompress the .zip file on your local hard drive. Be sure to preserve the directories for the files so they stay organized. You will have two main directories:
administrator – This directory contains a series of subdirectories to three files that need to be uploaded into your Joomla server
plugin – Inside this directory is a file called ‘shipwire_virtuemart119_plugin.zip’ which is installed as a plugin to your Joomla server.
- Using FTP or a similar program, upload the three files inside the administrator folder into the same directory path as on your hard drive:
- Login to your Joomla installation as an administrator and go to Extensions – Install / Uninstall
- Choose the shipwire_virtuemart119_plugin.ZIP in the plugin directory. Click Upload File & Install.
- Go to Plugin Manager again and activate the plugin. To help find the plugin filter on the type as System.
- Next, activate the Shipwire plugin. Then, click on the link System – Shipwire to go to the configuration screen. Enter your Shipwire login email address and password. Unless instructed by Shipwire support, do not change the other default values.
- In your Joomla administrative screen, go to the Virtuemart Component. Click on Admin – Config, then select the Shipping tab. Enable the Shipwire Shipping Module. We recommend that if you use the Shipwire Real Time Rating module, you deselect all other shipping types. Click Save.
This completes the installation. You can now set up your Product SKU in Virtuemart. These need match exactly the SKUs in your Shipwire account. Create a test order on Virtuemart. Upon checkout the order should be in your Shipwire account.
Setting up a CRON process
There is a hook for a CRON process that will do several things:
- Resubmit orders that could not be immediately sent to Shipwire
- Pull down inventory updates
- Pull down tracking numbers for orders and have shipped. This will also automatically mark orders as completed.
The easiest way to do this is to setup a CRON process that periodically requests a page from your server with the following URL:
You should not do this more often than once per hour. You can also use JCron plug-in for Joomla to setup a similar process.