Commercial Invoicing for International Shipping
**NOTE: Starting February 1st, 2018, we will be raising our custom commercial invoice fee from $2.50 to $7.00**
Any order that is shipped from a Shipwire warehouse in a given country (e.g. UK), to a destination address in a different country requires additional paperwork, including a commercial invoice, to clear customs. This page covers the commercial invoice and the Shipwire Platform. For additional information on our International Preparation Documents for international orders, please visit this page.
Learn more about the risks inherent in international shipping here.
Shipwire will produce the required paperwork for all of your international orders, but does require certain information to be present. Orders that do not have sufficient information will automatically be placed on hold until the required information is supplied. Once this data is provided, the order hold will automatically clear and the order will be processed.
To avoid unnecessary delays, we advise that you fill out all the required company and product-level information needed (by customs) prior to submitting your international orders.
Uploading or editing the Commercial Invoice
Shipwire lets you upload or modify your own Commercial Invoice right in your account during the Ship from Warehouse process, under the Ship menu in your account dashboard.
If you wish to upload a Commercial Invoice, select Upload my own commercial invoice. Choose the file, then click upload. Note that there is a $2.50 charge per commercial invoice.
In certain situations, it may be necessary to override the value that Shipwire uses to prepare your invoice (e.g. wholesale orders). Shipwire allows you to directly confirm and/or input the desired commercial invoice values on an order-by-order basis. The actual transaction value, the price paid or payable by your customer, should always show on a Commercial Invoice you upload.
If you wish to modify your Commercial Invoice values, select Customize values used during the Ship from Warehouse flow and manually edit the appropriate values:
Highlights of the Commercial Invoice
The image included below (click image to enlarge) highlights a number of the key fields that are used to populate the commercial invoice. Find quick links immediately below this image to set any of the missing fields:
- EIN: Any orders that are shipping from or to the U.S. require that you have a U.S.-obtained Employee Identification Number
- SKU name/description: Your product SKU name and description (as defined in Store, Manage Products) are used to describe your goods
- Country of manufacture: Your product’s country of manufacture, or if assembled from parts, the country of final assembly (the Made In field, as defined in Store, Manage Products)
- Harmonized Tariff System: If you have specified the HTS code (as defined in Store, Manage Products), it will be added to your product description; note that supplying HTS can accelerate customs processing
- Unit value: Your product SKU retail value in USD (the retail field, as defined in Store, Manage Products) is used to highlight its commercial value
Manage Products: You can edit all of the product-related details under My Account->Store->Manage Products, or by going to this link.
NOTE: If you have many products to edit, it may be faster to use our Spreadsheet upload. Simply click on the ‘Upload Spreadsheet’ from within Manage Products, and download the template. It will auto populate with all of your existing products. You can then add the missing fields. For international orders shipping out of a country other than the U.S., you should provide the country of origin and HS code to avoid order delays.
Learn more about the HTS and Made In field requirements here.